How is yoga useful for the elderly and pensioners. Elderly people often experience a feeling of helplessness, loss of mental strength, and doom before inexorably impending old age. However, sometimes you can meet cheerful and fit grandparents whose age has already passed far beyond 70. Yoga for the elderly helps them train their body and soul. They follow the ancient Eastern wisdom: “youth means flexibility of body and mind.”
Today, yoga practice allows many elderly people to restore strength, breathe energy, and youth into the body. Helps them train their body and soul. They follow ancient eastern wisdom. And it does not matter how old a person is, you can start at any age!
Yoga is useful for the elderly features of classes
Yoga is useful for elderly people who have decided to do yoga at an advanced age, it is the flexibility of the body and mind for yoga. This helps many elderly people to breathe energy and youth into the body. It is necessary to carefully approach the choice of an experienced instructor. The coach should take into account the peculiarities of yoga classes with people who are already well over 50.
At this age, many joints and spine have lost their mobility, there are cardiovascular diseases, hypertension. It should also be understood that some yoga poses are incompatible with varicose veins, serious chronic diseases, high blood pressure.
A distinctive feature of yoga classes in old age is a careful selection of exercises. And it doesn’t matter how old a person is. Also, the emphasis is on breathing exercises that promote oxygen saturation of the body tissues and relaxation, which helps to find peace of mind.
Group classes, communication with peers help older people to tune in to a positive attitude and prepare for a new period in their life.
The benefit is the flexibility of the body and min
Yoga is useful for the elderly. Elderly people who practice yoga, strengthen their health, form endurance in themselves, and gradually learn to re-manage their emotions and body.
At this age, there are usually already any chronic diseases that form a negative attitude towards their aging body. However, age is not a sentence. If you choose the right yoga poses, they will have a therapeutic effect not only on the body but also on the soul.
What is the benefit of doing yoga after 50:
- reduces joint pain;
- restores correct posture and flexibility to the body;
- improves blood circulation;
- saturates the brain, body, and blood with oxygen;
- helps to normalize blood pressure;
- it restores youth to the soul and helps to rediscover this wonderful world for yourself
- body weight decreases;
- the psychoemotional state is stabilized.
- improves the functioning of the digestive system;
- Yoga classes can not only restore elasticity to the muscles and mobility of the joints but also restore cheerfulness and clear the mind of thoughts about a joyless old age.
Asanas should be selected taking into account age-related changes in the bodies of older people. It is contraindicated to perform some exercises after 50.
Due to some features of the aging body, there are a number of restrictions on yoga classes due to:
- high risk of injury due to osteoporosis and disturbed balance in the elderly;
- there is a high probability of pain during exercise;
- risks of deterioration of health due to exacerbation of chronic diseases, as well as pressure surges;
- increases in anxiety and nervousness.
With age, the probability of complications increases. An elderly person can avoid them with a competent approach to yoga classes – with strict compliance with all instructions and under the strict supervision of a mentor.
The main recommendations for yoga classes for the elderly
To minimize the risk of complications, elderly people should strictly adhere to the rules when practicing yoga:
- exercises should be performed 3 times a week, or better-daily;
- yoga clothes should be comfortable, not restricting movements (it is desirable that the training suit is made of natural fabric that “breathes”)
- training should be carried out without wearing shoes – to harden the body, ventilate the room well;
- before you is necessary to constantly monitor the pulse, pressure, respiratory rate, painful sensations. start the lesson, you should warm up a little by doing exercises for all muscle groups;
- it is important to increase the duration of training gradually, to build a complex, moving from simple asanas to more complex ones;
- it is not recommended to take food before a yoga session (2 hours) and immediately after (1 hour).
- it is necessary to constantly monitor the pulse, pressure, respiratory rate, painful sensations.
A set of yoga exercises for the elderly
In the event that an old individual will rehearse yoga routinely, picking its various bearings, he might well reestablish his previous actual shape. What’s more, old individuals have the chance to get abilities that they didn’t have in their childhood. Most creators appropriately demand that it is more useful to rehearse yoga in gatherings, under the direction of a certified teacher. In any case, more established individuals might well train alone at home or in the city.
Yoga for beginners of the elderly-the Tao Yin complex (suitable for morning exercises).
This Taoist concept involves the autonomous exploration of natural dynamic foci using the technique of acupuncture. This yoga method is a fantastic device for energetically guiding the enthusiastic state of the elderly. It restores strength and revives the whole body of the young man
Yoga is useful for the elderly and pensioners Tao Yin is extremely valuable. A wide range of recordings showing classes is provided on YouTube channels. In any case, they are regularly extremely long, incomprehensible, or expected for some unacceptable crowd. Thus, we offer a brief description of a set of yoga exercises that are great for the elderly during morning aerobatics.
At the point when you awaken, don’t hurry to move up immediately. Move your feet somewhat, then, at that point, on the other hand, pull your knees up to your chest. When you get up, drink a glass of water (or medication), go to the latrine, open the window for ventilation.
In the first place, do a vortex warm-up of the joints, then, at that point, perform 28 activities in the Tao Yin-1 strategy. Every one of the developments in basic, their grouping is very simple to recollect in any event, for the older.
With the assistance of the Tao Yin yoga complicated, the older individual’s body will dispose of negative energy and gain essentialness.
- Warm-up for the spine and joints of the lower extremities (for those who do not have problems with the knees, ankles, lower back). Take a yoga pose “sitting on your knees”. The distance between the columns should be fist wide. Turn the heels outwards and place the buttocks between them. The palms should be on the floor near the hips. Start moving your palms and connect them in front of your knees, interlocking your thumbs and index fingers in the form of a triangle. Take a deep breath to inflate your stomach.
- Gradually, exhaling air, tilt the trunk forward, and pull the stomach in. Keeping your hands in front of you, put your forehead on your palms, trying not to tear your buttocks off your heels. Stay in this position for a while (as long as possible). Then take a deep breath and straighten up. Say “Good morning!” with a feeling of gratitude. Repeat the movements three times.
- Then it is necessary to wake up the pituitary gland, thyroid gland, lungs, spleen, and bladder. The action is performed while sitting on the seat. The bones of the shins and the inner sides of the huge toes are connected, the thumbs are under the collarbones. Start by lifting the heels, while the shins should definitely rub against each other. At the same time, turn your elbows, keeping your thumbs on your back, so that they rub the foci under the collarbone. This action lasts approximately 15 seconds. Then you can do the development with your hands again, and then with your feet.
- To wake up the heart, perform circular movements on the back, pressing hard with the palm of your hand on the wrist of one hand. From now on, change the position of the palms. Then you need to shake your hands thoroughly several times and, bending your arms at the elbows, lift them slightly in front of you over your shoulders. Try not to move for 6 seconds. Yoga practices for elderly people_complex Tao Yin.
Rubbing the needle with self-protection focuses on the Tao Yin method, which helps to move the abundance of energy to where it is needed.
- The following yoga exercise will help stimulate the heart muscle and lungs of an elderly person. Spring, bend one palm towards you, helping with the other hand alternately. Then form a bear grip behind your back, clasping your palms, and move them. Repeat the same with the other hand.
- Tap the wrist of one hand with the knuckles of the other.
To awaken the small intestine, organs of the genitourinary system of an elderly person (kidneys, ureter, bladder), massage of the anterior upper part of the forearm with finger pads is intended. Move in the direction from the base of the wrist to the elbow.
We awaken the rest of the internal organs. To do this, we make several circular movements with our fingers alternately. We rub each finger a little.
How to choose a suitable yoga mat for elderly people
For yoga classes, you need to purchase a special mat. If an elderly person is just starting them, then choosing the right option for him will seem a difficult task. Now classes in this ancient Indian art are very relevant, so many “cunning” sales workers are trying to earn “easy” money on their sales.
A high-quality mat for this gymnastics costs about 150$. An elderly person can not spend so much on his first rug, but buy a simpler rug at a more affordable price. A yoga mat for gymnastics is the main attribute, and you need to approach its purchase seriously. Its most important parameter is the length.
The mat should not be shorter than 185 centimeters (take 20 centimeters longer than your height). Width is a less important size (if only the mat was wider than the “owner”). The choice of the thickness of the mat depends on the personal taste and needs of its owner. An elderly person should take into account that it is more difficult to balance and maintain balance on a thick rug, but it is soft and comfortable.
Useful yoga tips for the elderly
In the “visual aids” on yoga classes for the elderly and video tutorials, special attention is paid to the following points:
- an elderly person should perform as many as possible asanas from a standing position. This is very useful for strengthening the musculoskeletal system, especially the calf muscles;
- an elderly person can perform light trunk bends and bends, “twisting” in the “sitting” position. Such movements in yoga gymnastics help to restore the spine to its former flexibility. If performing exercises causes difficulties, then an elderly person can use support (wall, chair, ottoman, etc.);
- an elderly person does light stretches, gradually strengthening the muscles of the back and neck. Exercises of yoga gymnastics contribute to the return of the “former status” and stabilize the work of the circulatory system.
There are only 83 basic asanas in yoga for elderly people. An elderly person can choose 10-15 poses for himself. This will be quite enough for a good mood and excellent well-being. The simplest and most relevant yoga exercises:
- Shroud – “dead pose” – an elderly person “completely and completely” relaxes.
- Sarvangasana – “candle pose” is performed to stretch the cervical spine.
- Bhujangasana – “cobra pose” has a positive effect on the body by “massaging” the internal organs.
An elderly person will be able to easily perform the following exercises:
- Kapalabhati pranayama is a simple breathing exercise. When performing, strictly ensure that the chest is stationary, abdominal, and diaphragmatic breathing.
- Suakhasana is a very simple exercise, that refers to meditative asanas, aimed at stretching the back. When performing, the main thing is to keep the correct posture, at first you can perform on a blanket folded several times.
- Marjariasana – “stretching cat pose”. Helps to relieve pinching and tension of the cervical, scapular, and lumbar vertebrae. With regular classes, an elderly person regains his former mobility and flexibility to his spine.